If you’re reading this then you want to know how to buy a domain name. Acquiring a great domain name is the first step in building a web site. It’s also one of the easiest things to do online – even for beginners with no technical knowledge.
- Do Keyword Research. If you plan on building a web site related to horse riding, then you’ll want to research the keywords in Google and check out your competition. Based on your research, determine what keywords you plan on targeting for search results and choose the domain name that best reflects your topic. Tip: It’s a good idea to have your keyword in your domain name for ranking purposes. This is not absolutely necessary, but definitely helps.
- Choose the proper top-level domain or TLD. In other words, the suffix of your domain (i.e., .com, .net, .org, .info, etc). If your business is in the United States, then you should use .com as your domain. Most users assume domains end with a .com, so that should be your first preference. If .com is not available, only then would I recommend .net. The .org TLD is reserved for nonprofits. Stick to these TLDs and avoid the rest.
- Check the domain name history. Google for previously indexed pages or any negative backlinks. You want to start with a clean slate.
- You do NOT have to purchase your domain name from the same company that you choose to host your website. A domain registrar can be different from the domain hosting provider. For example, you can purchase the domain name at GoDaddy, and then host it at HostGator.
- You do NOT need to have an established company to purchase a domain name. Anyone can acquire a name.
How To Register a Domain Name
To register your own domain name – such as gabfirethemes.com or yourdomain.com – for your web site, you can use a registrar such as GoDaddy.
- Go to GoDaddy or any domain registrar
- Search for your preferred domain name. If it is not available, continue searching in order of preference.
- Purchase the domain name.
- Ensure you setup auto-renewal of the domain name so that it does not slip away by mistake.
- If hosting elsewhere, change the domain nameservers (DNS) to those provided by your hosting provider.
You are now the proud owner of online real estate. Your next step is to find a solid WordPress web hosting provider.